Saturday, October 9, 2010

continuing...

In the Ramayana, we have Somada, the virgin daughter of the nymph Urmila. In an ashrama, Somada cared for and ministered to the muni Chuli. She attended the great sage for a long time with undeviating faith and devotion. Her Guru was very pleased with her and offered to fulfill some desire of hers. She responded, 'O King of Kings, I desire to bear a son, resplendent with divine power, a worshiper of God and devoted to dharma. I have no husband, nor do I wish to be the wife of any, as I am a brahmacharini; therefore, by virtue of your Yoga, grant me a son produced by the power of your thought.' The divine sage was pleased to hear these words and granted her a son named Brahmadatta, by the power of her mind. Brahmadatta became King of Kampila and was as prosperous as Indra in heaven. (Shastri, v. 1, p. 70)

No comments:

Post a Comment